votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What information should be displayed on a network profile?

Parent

What information should be displayed on a network profile?

+9
−0

I want to design a network profile (and then possibly implement it). There was already discussion about that in Community dropdown and profile information, Understanding how posts were possibly received by the community --- network wide and there is an issue with when single site accounts should be created and a discussion about user preferences.

Here I want to present my thoughts on the network profile and ask you for your feedback on them. What would you like to have on a network profile?

1. Ways to access the network profile: from each site profile and from codidact.com/users/12345

2. Available tabs when it's another user: Profile, Activity, Vote Summary (as in the site profile)

3. Additional available tabs when it's me: Account, Edit, Preferences

4. Content of the Profile tab: top-left: a free text field and some links like for the site profile, below a list/table of all communities where the user has an account with links to their site profiles and statistics (number of questions, answers, edits, votes, reputation). Possibly sortable by name of community or stats mentioned above. On the right side the avatar and a summary (total number of questions, answers, edits, comments, votes across the whole network).

5. Content of the Activity tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

6. Content of the Vote Summary tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

7. Content of the Account tab: I'm not sure, do we have site specific accounts here or is there only a network wide account, if so, that Account tab should vanish from the site profiles and only appear on the network profile

8. Content of the Edit tab: I'm not sure, do we have the ability to have a different profile for each site?, if yes, maybe we could use the network profile as a way to copy text quickly to all site profiles if needed, but do we really need a unique profile text section/avatar for each site? If it's not unique, it should be moved from the site profile to the network profile.

9. Content of the Preferences tab: The site profiles' preferences tabs have network preferences and local community preferences. Simply split them and put the network preferences on the network profile's preferences tab.

Some questions I asked myself while designing this:

• Do Activity and Vote Summary need to be separate tabs? One could call it History instead and then have filters and sorting on it or expand the number of tabs into a larger list (questions, answers, ...).
  • Do you need to have a profile page text and avatar image that is specific for each community? Why not, I'd say, but then with potentially tens of communities this might be a nightmare to manage.
  • Is there one account (email/password) for the whole network or one account for each site?
  • What else would be nice?
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Working on QPixel? (10 comments)
−0

I would like to see a place that links to the sites I care about, and therefore want to check in on regularly.

I currently have to bring up the main page, then click on the sites I want to visit while skipping over the stuff I don't care about. That wasn't much of a problem when there were only a few sites and they all fit on one screen. The sites are displayed on the main page using a lot of space (unnecessarily so in my opinion, but that's another issue). This problem will get worse as more sites are added.

A sustainable solution is for each user to have their own succinct list of sites that they have chosen. Then it's easy to go thru the list.

Whenever you participate in a site beyond just viewing, the site could be automatically added. Of course you'd have the option to remove it, and you need to be able to manually add sites. For example, I'm "watching" one site now that I haven't participated in, so would want that on my list.

Added about Dashboard

Several comments mentioned the current dashboard. It's not really what I'm looking for, and I didn't know it existed. I went to my profile here and looked around for anything called "dashboard" in any of the sections, but found nothing. I can't figure out how I was supposed to know of this.

In any case, this only addresses some of the problems. The two biggest problems I see with the current dashboard as opposed to what I'm proposing is:

• It's way too verbose in its use of space.
  • I can't customize which sites I see and in what order.

Being able to quickly see where there is anything new is very useful, and that's the sort of summary info I'd like to see, but only for the sites I choose, and in a more compact form. When you click on a link to a specific site, you should get to a page that shows recent activity relevant to you. This would include any new votes, comments to your posts, and explicit replies to any of your comments.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Customizable landing page? (6 comments)
Customizable landing page?
Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

What you describe sounds to me like a customizable landing page. Basically codidact.com for logged in users. I fully agree with it (including the "there is too much space" and think this is a worthwhile project). The network profile should be reachable from there and should complement it. The customizable landing page could show a custom list of sites maybe with the newest X questions each.

celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Actually my “landing page” is the [dashboard.][https://meta.codidact.com/dashboard] Unlike the main page, it shows me the information I care about: Where has been activity since my last visit? Of course it could be made more useful by also adding things like whether one of my posts have been voted on since my last visit, or whether there has been any activity specifically on my posts.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I, too, use the dashboard as my entry point, so I can see where there's new activity. (Ok, I also keep tabs open to a couple communities, including Meta, 'cause I'm here a lot.) If you could control the order of communities in the network profile, and if the profile showed an indicator for any new activity on that community, would that do what you need, Olin Lathrop‭? (The list on the network profile would only include communities you've visited, unlike the dashboard which shows all of them and all categories within each.)

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

The dashboard might be a good landing page, although I don't understand why it exists for every sub-site (only the header changes between for example https://meta.codidact.com/dashboard and https://writing.codidact.com/dashboard). One could have a look at the differences of the dashboard and codidact.com and maybe unify both. Basically for logged in users codidact.com could become a customizable dashboard while for logged out users it remains what it is.

You hinted at one difference: codidact.com is a static page, which doesn't changed if you're logged in. It includes the community descriptions; it's more for browsing for interesting places to go. The dashboard, on the other hand, shows the more details (for logged-in users): all the categories, where there's new activity, and (for admins) information about pending flags. I think the reason it's tied to community domains is that last part -- foo.codidact.com knows about users and so can show that user-specific info, while plain old codidact.com doesn't know about users and can't. It's the same dashboard everywhere, though. Could we make this better? Yeah, almost certainly. But that's what we have now.

Olin Lathrop‭ I sketched out an idea that I think addresses most of your points in this answer.