votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What information should be displayed on a network profile?

Parent

What information should be displayed on a network profile?

+9
−0

I want to design a network profile (and then possibly implement it). There was already discussion about that in Community dropdown and profile information, Understanding how posts were possibly received by the community --- network wide and there is an issue with when single site accounts should be created and a discussion about user preferences.

Here I want to present my thoughts on the network profile and ask you for your feedback on them. What would you like to have on a network profile?

1. Ways to access the network profile: from each site profile and from codidact.com/users/12345

2. Available tabs when it's another user: Profile, Activity, Vote Summary (as in the site profile)

3. Additional available tabs when it's me: Account, Edit, Preferences

4. Content of the Profile tab: top-left: a free text field and some links like for the site profile, below a list/table of all communities where the user has an account with links to their site profiles and statistics (number of questions, answers, edits, votes, reputation). Possibly sortable by name of community or stats mentioned above. On the right side the avatar and a summary (total number of questions, answers, edits, comments, votes across the whole network).

5. Content of the Activity tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

6. Content of the Vote Summary tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

7. Content of the Account tab: I'm not sure, do we have site specific accounts here or is there only a network wide account, if so, that Account tab should vanish from the site profiles and only appear on the network profile

8. Content of the Edit tab: I'm not sure, do we have the ability to have a different profile for each site?, if yes, maybe we could use the network profile as a way to copy text quickly to all site profiles if needed, but do we really need a unique profile text section/avatar for each site? If it's not unique, it should be moved from the site profile to the network profile.

9. Content of the Preferences tab: The site profiles' preferences tabs have network preferences and local community preferences. Simply split them and put the network preferences on the network profile's preferences tab.

Some questions I asked myself while designing this:

• Do Activity and Vote Summary need to be separate tabs? One could call it History instead and then have filters and sorting on it or expand the number of tabs into a larger list (questions, answers, ...).
  • Do you need to have a profile page text and avatar image that is specific for each community? Why not, I'd say, but then with potentially tens of communities this might be a nightmare to manage.
  • Is there one account (email/password) for the whole network or one account for each site?
  • What else would be nice?
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Working on QPixel? (10 comments)
−0

I thought the best way to respond to this answer would be with a sketch.

The answer raises a few key points:

• Show me my communities (not all of them), in an order I choose.
  • Show me where there's new stuff I should know about.
  • Compactly.

For the "list of communities" part of the network profile, I was imagining something like this:

mockup

Each community in the list shows the following info:

• Logo and name: drag up or down to re-order communities in your list.

• Reputation: tooltip shows when you last received a vote, and the number is a link to the Vote Summary tab on the profile on that community.

• Number of top-level posts (in all categories): probably needs a better label, but it's not just questions because there are also articles and there could be others.

• Number of answers: even if there are other types of posts that are not top-level posts in the future, I think it's ok to lump them in here.

• For the owner only: the "silver dot" indicator like you see in the category list or on the dashboard, and the tooltip indicates which categories have new activity since you last visited. I'm assuming that since we compute this for the category list already, it's not arduous to compute and show here.

• (Edited to add:) For the owner only: number of pending notifications from that community. (Not shown in the sketch.) We don't have anything to link to yet for community-specific notifications, but at least this tells you what's waiting in your global inbox.

• For the owner only: number of flags raised (link to your flags page), with some visible indicator if there are new responses to your flags. We don't currently indicate new responses anywhere (you have to know to go look), so I don't know if this is hard. I'm including flags here as an extra reminder of/affordance for "whatever happened to that flag I raised?".

This question is about the network profile, but perhaps we could also order the communities in the drop-down switcher to match the order on the profile -- you chose that order once, probably for a reason, so perhaps we can be consistent.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Great start, I'd like a few more details. (5 comments)
Great start, I'd like a few more details.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

What you have looks great. It basically shows in one line what you want to know about all of "your" communities. I'm unclear what the boxes at left do, though. They look like they are meant to have an X in them or not. If they are just targets for re-ordering, then something smaller and solid would probably be more intuitive.

In addition to what you show, I'd like to know about comment activity too. Whenever a comment is added below one of my posts, to anywhere in one of my top level posts, in the same thread where I wrote a comment, or when I was explicitly named, I want to know about it. All these can be lumped together for the overview line.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Sorry, the boxes are where logos would go (or key elements from logos, I guess). My idea was that you could click and drag the logo or name to re-order items, while just plain clicking would take you to your profile on that community. If a drag interface is too hard, we could use the "move up/move down" arrow controls you sometimes see -- the main point is to have some way to move them around, and I'm happy to defer to the people implementing it on what exactly that is.

For comments, I think you're asking for anything that would notify you in the inbox. But comments specifically, or would you also want to know about new answers to your questions, for example?

@Monica: That makes sense about the boxes. I mentioned comments because you seemed to cover the rest. Basically I'm looking for something that tells me on a single line whether there has been any activity on that site since I last checked, and particularly if there has been any associated with me. We don't need a lot of detail on that single line. Clicking there should go to the site-specific page with more detail and clickable links. Otherwise, the single line on the "your sites" page might as well show whatever information reasonably fits. At minimum I'd like to see if there is any activity in the whole site since I last visited, and any activity related to me (answers, comments, votes, reactions).

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Olin Lathrop‭. Everything you've listed -- pings, comments in threads you're following, comments on your own posts -- would also show up in inbox notifications, but of course the inbox is everything combined. (At least you can mark individual items as read or unread, but if you're active on many communities it can still be challenging.) For the network profile page, I'd propose an additional column (visible to you only) for the number of pending notifications from that community, which (probably in the future since this page doesn't exist yet) would link to a page showing only that community's notifications. You'd sill be able to mark them individually as read/unread, so the count on the network profile would stay accurate even after you visit, until you clear those notifications. How's that?

Reactions are a gap; we don't generate notifications for those at all now, but it's come up.

@Monica: That sounds good.