votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

+2
−11

I ran the search queries "anonymous", "register" and "unregistered" in the search box but didn't find a thread about why isn't anonymous/unregistered contribution allowed here.

I recall one or two cases were I sat in the bus and wanted to ask something without logging in but didn't do so because I avoid logging in to any application from my smartphone's browsers (from several reasons) and avoid installing any unnecessary apps (Codidact's app is unnecessary for me) so I published these questions in Stack Exchange instead, were some communities there do allow posting without logging in.

I suggest to allow it as a measure to bring more initial content creators (i.e. askers) to the site.

I personally don't use caching in my smartphone's browser at all and generally won't use it, which would obligate me to mentally recall a "long" password for my Codidact account, something I don't want to do

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

XY problem? Maybe you want an easier login/registration method? (9 comments)
Don't want spur-of-the-moment questions banged out on a cell phone. (6 comments)
Don't want spur-of-the-moment questions banged out on a cell phone.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

You complain that you can't bang out a question immediately when it pops into your head, even if you're in the middle of doing something else with lots of distractions around. That's a good thing.

We want questions that are well thought out, to the point, and well written. Doing that right takes a little time, not the least of which is actually stopping to think before blurting out a question. If you can't be bothered to log in, then you certainly won't be bothered to think about your question, do a little research, and write it up clearly and using good English.

Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago

In that way we should probably remove the "ask question" button on mobile altogether and disable the submit button on the question ask page for at least 30 minutes (because that's the time it takes at least to think about a question, do research and write it all up). Or not. :)

A comprehensive discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of mobile usage of Q&A platforms is probably beyond this feature request. But it would be interesting.

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭

You are wrong about the issue of logging in, I don't log in to website account from phone often from information security considerations but mostly because I don't want to recall "long" passwords for non basic software (operating system, SSH private key, and alike).

I also avoid installing native apps to save battery.

Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

deleted user "I don't want to recall "long" passwords" If security is not important and you don't want to recall long passwords, why don't you use https://meta.codidact.com/users/mobile-login? It doesn't even require a password (I guess, not having tested this) and then mark the checkbox saying that you want to stay signed in. My guess is that most people simply stay signed in and do not have any problem posting from mobile then. They only need to sign in once.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

Trilarion‭ thanks, I avoid caching in my smartphone (I use a cachless DuckDuckGo as primary browser).

Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago

deleted user Well then you make some things more difficult for you. But this doesn't have to be the case for others. An implementation would then primarily be a benefit for similar people. Maybe not the highest priority.