votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

+2
−11

I ran the search queries "anonymous", "register" and "unregistered" in the search box but didn't find a thread about why isn't anonymous/unregistered contribution allowed here.

I recall one or two cases were I sat in the bus and wanted to ask something without logging in but didn't do so because I avoid logging in to any application from my smartphone's browsers (from several reasons) and avoid installing any unnecessary apps (Codidact's app is unnecessary for me) so I published these questions in Stack Exchange instead, were some communities there do allow posting without logging in.

I suggest to allow it as a measure to bring more initial content creators (i.e. askers) to the site.

I personally don't use caching in my smartphone's browser at all and generally won't use it, which would obligate me to mentally recall a "long" password for my Codidact account, something I don't want to do

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

XY problem? Maybe you want an easier login/registration method? (9 comments)
Don't want spur-of-the-moment questions banged out on a cell phone. (6 comments)
XY problem? Maybe you want an easier login/registration method?
Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago

There is https://meta.codidact.com/users/mobile-login, which you probably only need to do once. Did you know about it?

Or maybe registration with a google/github account? (There might be a feature-request about that somewhere).

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

With all due respect, in my mind there is no "problem to solve" here so certainly there isn't an (adjacent) "XY problem".

For me, it's just a matter of comfortability of the site and a nice opportunity to expand its content base, I don't really care if it would be implemented or not.

Canina‭ wrote about 2 years ago

deleted user If there is, as you put it, no problem to solve here, then please don't waste people's time with frivolous proposals.

Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

I didn't want to criticize you in any way. I actually like that you've made this feature request, even though I disagree because I see too many opportunities for abuse. But I can relate to the idea of not having to authenticate. It's surely a barrier to entry and less barriers would be better in principle. That's how I understood your proposal. I just don't know how to do that without also having all the bad side effects outlined in the answers. That's why I wondered here how one can make the sign in/up experience on multiple devices as convenient as possible.

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

Canina‭ if you think I waste your time, you don't have to reply - just down vote and flag (I guess).

I reject your personal approach (not even a community rule) that posts here must always be about a "problem to solve".

Posts about convenience (which aren't necessarily related to just one person) are in my opinion valuable and actually sorely needed, I will keep posting them if and when I find it constructive.

Trilarion‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Convenience or the absence of it is a problem. I'm lazy and I want to achieve X with less effort but cannot - can be seen as a perfect problem formulation. Maybe that was a misunderstanding here.

Canina‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

deleted user What Trilarion‭ said. Not least in software development, "problem" can be a quite broad term, as exemplified in, for example, "problem statement". "It is too cumbersome to accomplish X" can be a valid problem statement regardless of whether X is something that should be accomplished at all and whether or not the "too cumbersome" part means two clicks instead of one. "I can't do a complete factory reset of my phone from the home screen with just one tap" is valid as a problem statement. Whether a phone manufacturer would actually implement such functionality is a completely different matter.

if you think I waste your time, you don't have to reply - just down vote and flag

Unfortunately, that only became apparent after answers were posted, when it started becoming more clear that you were mostly interested in this functionality for your own use and don't seem interested in considering the broader implications.

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

Canina‭

I find no reason in philosophizing about the term problem here.

I have suggested a focal suggestion, assuming, believe it or not, that I am not the only one with an identical or a similar need.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 2 years ago

deleted user I've approved a suggested edit that focuses the question on the points you brought up. I'm leaving this comment here so you'll know how that edit got approved, in case you object (but I hope you won't, as I think it will lead to a more productive discussion of the issue you've raised).