votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on So, is Stack Exchange broken permanently this time?

So, is Stack Exchange broken permanently this time? [closed]

+0
−8

Closed as off topic by Mithical‭ on Mar 3, 2022 at 09:58

This question is not within the scope of Codidact Meta.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

A few days ago, Stack Exchange suddenly broke. Again. It literally doesn't let you post any question, because the button does nothing. Like so many other sites, they have either deliberately broken it in non-spyware browsers, or updated some crappy JS library which did it for them because they have zero regard for privacy.

I've extensively and repeatedly researched every single browser project known to man for several years, and there is just not one damn thing that can actually be used. All of them are full of spying, nearly all based on Chrome, lack basic features such as their own (not OS-wide) proxy configuration, the proper ability to block ads, etc. I'm using Pale Moon not because it's good, but because there just is no other choice (Windows). On Linux I guess there is GNU IceCat and Macs have Safari, but I strongly suspect that even they are awful in their own way.

Well, they still haven't fixed it, and it looks like they never will. Who knows? The only thread about it has no activity, and talks about "legacy browsers" or some nonsense. It has no priority if it is an actual mistake.

Does this mean that SE is now gone with the wind? I mean, it was already nearly useless with the constant random closing or deletion of anything I posted, but now it's not even technically possible to post there anymore.

One major problem with Codiact is that there are so few categories, so extremely few of my questions could be asked here. Also, I don't like the hard requirement to first register an account and then log in and post. I would always use "guest posting" on SE wherever allowed, simply because I don't care at all about collecting points and don't want to make it that easy to track everything I've asked and profile me.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Guest posting (3 comments)
We're not SE (2 comments)
Guest posting
Lundin‭ wrote about 2 years ago

This was recently proposed here: https://meta.codidact.com/posts/285842. The proposal wasn't well-received by the community. Since there is no community consensus, it will unlikely get implemented. The main reasons seems to be that while you might not care about collecting points, the community cares about you putting some effort into your posts. And also to protect from spam and vandalism by anonymous users.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 2 years ago

I think guest posting would have to be accompanied by some sort of pre-publication community review, else it would be too easy to flood the site with spam or trolling. That doesn't mean "no"; it means it's something we have to figure out how to implement.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Another point is that while you might not want to be tracked and profiled, that is not in the community's interest. We do want to know who we're talking to in regards to what else they have posted. Put another way, it is useful for members here to be able to mentally profile other users they come across multiple times.

There is also the quality angle. The more identifiable you are, the more you're going to put some effort into your posts. The internet has abundantly shown that some users will post crap when there is no reputation to protect. If someone isn't willing to stand up and take ownership of what they say, then it's not worth anything.