votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Translating the project

Parent

Translating the project

+6
−0

Hello,

I'm new to Codidact and would love to translate QPixel (and the project's homepage as well) to my native language, as I've been doing on other open-source projects :)

I looked around and couldn't find anything regarding translation; did I miss anything or is it not a priority yet?

Thanks

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

It looks to me as though there is partial support for translation. Compare, for example, the text strings output in app/views/advertisement/index.html.erb and app/views/suggested_edit/category_index.html.erb.

If you are interested in translating QPixel to natural languages other than English, I suspect that a good first step would be to make similar changes across all views. Doing so would enable later actual translation of those strings into other languages. Commit 32cb10b36b9c5333fc3c5e2566204acec35e032e can probably serve as a template for the changes you'd need to make.

You could do this fully for one view at a time (adding translation support and providing a sample translation), or you could start by adding translation support (to a small subset of views, or to all views) and only later actually use it. How you choose to work would likely depend more on what you feel comfortable with.

You may also be interested in Codidact Collab which focuses on issues more directly related to specifically QPixel software development and testing. For general software development questions, the go-to community is of course Software Development Codidact.

Welcome aboard!

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

What Canina said (1 comment)
Thank you for your answer! (1 comment)
What Canina said
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 1 year ago

We have a general mechanism for internationalization, but building out non-English versions hasn't gotten much attention so far. Contributions are welcome. The general idea is identifiers in the code instead of hard-wired strings, and then per-language YAML files that map those IDs to text. I'm pretty sure there are some English strings still baked into the UI (at the very least, I think I added one before knowing about this setup). It's a work in progress, and if you want to help, we'll welcome PRs.