votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Is gaining rep based on SE content ok?

Parent

Is gaining rep based on SE content ok?

+9
−0

Is it a problem if specific users harvest highly-voted questions on SE, then self answer, to farm a huge amount of rep? And if so, what can we do to prevent it?

I haven't seen it happen, but asking this question on a coding site seems like a pretty straightforward way to guarantee yourself a lot of rep with minimal work.

Even if this hasn't happened yet, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen in the future.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
−0

Do you have specific examples of this occurring? If you don't wish to call folks out here feel free to join our chat server and message one of the moderators or admins privately. We will not tolerate instances of abuse.

Otherwise... the vast majority (maybe all?) of imported material came in with a score of zero. Any "rep" gained here will be based on the CD community's judgement of its merit; a good answer will be up or downvoted on its perceived contribution, rather than on any historical value it may have held. If users are posting good answers, they should gain trust in the community from those good answers.

Please also be aware the the "rep" system should soon be replaced with the trust level system where users gain privileges based on overall perceived positive contribution. A single answer with high upvotes may not be as important in that scenario.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

I don't have an example of it, but it occurred to me as something I could do if I wanted upvotes. Giv... (1 comment)
General comments (5 comments)
General comments
joel‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

ok, i've updated my question to answer your questions. I can see how a trust level system could help here

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

I keep hearing this about rep being replaced by trust levels. Trust is only one part of rep. We still need a nice and handy single number to show users who has a reputation for lots of good answers, for the gamification aspect, and to foster competition among the top answerers. Trust levels don't do any of that.

Canina‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

@OlinLathrop I don't think I've seen it phrased that concretely elsewhere, but concrete is good because it's a specific problem that can presumably be solved. Assuming I haven't simply missed it, would you care to post that problem description as a (likely discussion) question here on Codidact Meta so there can be a more visible discussion on how Codidact should solve that issue, ideally without getting bogged down in whether trust level as proposed or rep is more useful for other things?

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

We've said before, and I'll say again, that we're going to show some other stats with users, something to indicate the volume of activity and overall scoring. No there will not be rep because rep as it exists (both here and on SE) is a flawed model. It'll be something more like "17 answers (15 well-received)", but more compact. The user profile will show a richer summary -- questions, answers, articles, maybe broken down by category, and maybe other things like edits (TBD).

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

@Monica: Rep is not a "flawed model", at least some aspects of it. It is the best measure of overall contributions a user has made to a site. SE used it for everything, including trusts. I can see the point of decoupling trusts from rep to some extent, but other aspects of rep are still useful. That single overall number is best for the benefits I mention above, such as gamification and competition to draw out more contributions from top users.