votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Indication that I have flagged a post

Indication that I have flagged a post

+10
−0

When I flag a post for moderator attention, an acknowledgement message appears, but if I revisit the post later there is no indication that I have flagged it. I would find it useful to have an indication, in case I see the post later and don't remember whether I already got around to flagging it.

At the minimum, this could just be a message saying "you flagged this". Would it also be useful to see the wording of the flag (perhaps with an option to hide this for cases where I am showing my screen to others)?

Would it also be helpful to see the outcome of a flag (only for my own flags)?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

What happens if you start to flag it again? (It should show you your previous flag but I can't test ... (9 comments)
What happens if you start to flag it again? (It should show you your previous flag but I can't test ...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

What happens if you start to flag it again? (It should show you your previous flag but I can't test right this moment.)

trichoplax‭ wrote 9 months ago

Just checked on the dev server: It doesn't give any indication that there is already a flag, and allows me to raise another. This applies immediately on the same tab, and also later if I open the same post in a fresh tab.

On the flags page that Olin mentioned, all 3 flags show up, so they are not being lost, just not being announced on the post to the user who previously flagged.

Thanks for checking. I expected it to show what you've already flagged, like for reactions. Whatever else we do, seems like we should make that consistent.

Would that only apply while the previous flag is still pending? I'm imagining seeing no previous flag content when raising a new flag after a previous flag has been marked helpful, but not sure if anything should show if a previous flag was declined.

Good point. Yes, IMO if a flag is still pending we should show it like I described. I agree that some way to see that you have resolved flags on a post would be good. If nothing else, you don't want to keep raising the same flags out of ignorance.

Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote 9 months ago

Yes, keeping tracks of flags on the post page is very useful, especially if the traffic begins hopefully to rise.

I see some merit to being able to flag a post multiple time. Maybe you didn't notice something the first time and need to raise another flag. Editing the previous one could be misleading both for the mod and for the flagging user who reexamines their own flag. I agree it may add complexity, so it's probably a staff judgement call whether it's a feature worth keeping.

trichoplax‭ wrote 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

If we do end up showing previous flag info on the post page, we may want to consider making it a user setting. I can imagine situations where a user might want to keep such info only to their profile page, for example if working on something with a colleague who sees the questions they look up on their screen. Not all colleagues get along well, and someone may have flagged a colleague's post and not want them to know this. More generally, they may not want people who are watching their screen to know that they flagged a post, simply to avoid distracting questions.

Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote 9 months ago

trichoplax‭ That's a good point. Although I see Codidact more as a "spare time" tool (especially with this low traffic), I can see scenarios where it could be used in a workplace environment. So your concerns are definitely warranted.

Maybe the solution could be a sort of "privacy mode login", where you login clicking some checkbox and then all the "sensitive" options on your account are disabled. That is, in secure login mode you can only create/manage your posts and comments. All other tools and privileges are disabled. This to avoid the risk of forgetting to disable something in your profile.

Moreover, this would prevent that someone could mess with your profile if you leave your workstation unattended (yes, that shouldn't happen, but we know it happens all the time in a workplace).