votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Proposal to ease tag maintenance

Proposal to ease tag maintenance

+8
−0

We should make it easier for trusted users to manage tags. Can we please have some feedback on the following ideas?

• Creating tags directly (independently of a post): move from mod-only to anyone with the Edit Tags ability.[1]

• Renaming tags: move from mod-only to anyone with the Edit Tags ability. Is that too dangerous (because it could cause confusion if people aren't coordinating)? On the other hand, an incorrectly-renamed tag can be renamed back to what it was; it's not a destructive operation.

• Deleting unused tags: move from admin-only to mod-only.

I'm not proposing that we change deleting in-use tags (admin-only) right now, because that's a more destructive operation that probably needs some safeguards. Even people who have the ability generally don't use it. This is an area for further work.

I'm also not proposing that we change merging tags (mod-only) right now. This is a destructive operation.

But meanwhile, does lowering these other thresholds create risks that we need to address?

Note: I am aware that the Edit Tags ability can't currently be earned organically -- this is a long-known problem that we haven't fixed yet. However, moderators can grant abilities directly, so people can still have the Edit Tags ability, so we can meaningfully base feature access on it.

1. Anybody (with Participate Everywhere, I think) can create a new tag by adding it to a post. Moderators also have a "new" button on the tags page, allowing them to create a tag without adding it to a post. Why would you do that, you might ask? This is helpful when building out tag hierarchies or preparing a set of related tags that you want to make sure follow the same naming convention. ↩︎

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Is tag creation actually limited? (2 comments)
Is tag creation actually limited?
Karl Knechtel‭ wrote 9 months ago

I thought everyone could already make new tags by just... typing in a not-yet-existing tag and applying it to a new post.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

Sorry, I'll clarify the post. Anybody can create a tag on a post, but there is also a way to create a tag directly, which is helpful when organizing tag hierarchies.