votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Feature request: direct messages

Parent

Feature request: direct messages

+0
−6

Why ? It would facilitate some misunderstandings and clarification without the need for a public comment. It would open a path to people being "mentored" in their first 5 question or what amount it takes to determine if more help is needed or if that person has a good grasp of question making.

Moderator note: the question the author would like to ask has changed. None of our close reasons really apply, but please hold off on new answers to give the author a chance to write a new question, and then we can mark this one as superseded by it (with a link).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Please do not drastically change already-answered questions. (1 comment)
Question totally changed (1 comment)
Maybe focus your question only on one thing? Do you ask about direct messages or about mentoring? (2 comments)
−1

In addition to what Mithical said (+1), if we do ever get a direct message system, it must be opt-out by default. In other words, it must take a deliberate action by a user before they can receive direct messages.

facilitate some misunderstands and clarification if those without the need for a public comment

This is exactly what I want to avoid receiving. If someone truly misunderstands something I said, then there is already a means to ask for clarification. Since I would have said it publicly, the clarification should also be public.

This "facilitate some misunderstanding" sounds to me more like wanting to argue about something out of the public view. That's not a message I want to get. There is no upside to getting into an argument or getting gripes dumped on me privately by individual users.

I'm not here for chit-chat, nor is this a social club.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Seguestion (9 comments)
Seguestion
deleted user wrote 8 months ago

"This "facilitate some misunderstanding" sounds to me more like wanting to argue about something out of the public view." Code of conduct says to always assume good intent, so this is going against it, mind editing your word choice ?

Andreas from the dark caverns‭ wrote 8 months ago · edited 8 months ago

deleted user No, this is unreasonable. What Olin is describing has been a constant issue in the comment sections on Stack Overflow (and probably other SE sites), and sometimes, people do drag these arguments/fights into the SE chat. These are mostly unpleasant experiences. Even if that isn't what the author of this question meant (that is a reasonable impression to get from it, though), this is an actual risk with the suggestion. That said, I am in favour of a chat system, similar to the one on SE, but this isn't it. Even though I want such a chat, my response to direct messages as suggested in the question, is the same as Olin's. It doesn't align with the goals of the platform, and it causes more harm than good. Pulling feedback, arguments, mentoring, or anything else specific to a question, out of the comment section of that question, and into a private chat between two people, is the wrong course of action, and serves no good.

deleted user wrote 8 months ago

"It doesn't align with the goals of the platform" is this stack exchange ? I thought the goal was to serve their community. Not that I have anything against your opinion, but your justification made no sense because Codidact's goal is to serve the community, not profit. Also, what's wrong with people arguing ? How will people figure out if X method is better than Y without argument ? Private chats would just facilitate that, let's say I'm talking about microchips and I want Olin's opinion, should I be forced to read some Rand who has never touched a computer opinion on it ?

Not that I have anything against your opinion, but your justification made no sense because Codidact's goal is to serve the community, not profit

No, I'm saying it doesn't align with the goals of Codidact, which is, an open repository of knowledge, which also happened to, once upon a time, be the goal of Stack Exchange, and is still a goal of the core community there.

Also, what's wrong with people arguing ?

Q/A is not the right format for a discussion, and questions in the Q/A format are not discussion starters. Also, when I speak of the unpleasant experiences, that is people literally fighting in the comment section. Just a few days ago, I chose to engage in a question's comment section on Stack Overflow, to explain why breaking a specific rule was incorrect, and to try help the asker find a solution to their problem (the question didn't have enough for anybody to answer it). That same day, I received unfriendly comments in that comment section, plus 5 revenge downvotes on Stack Overflow, and 2 on Codidact (my CD profile is linked there). There were also insults being made, there. If we allow users to move this into private spaces, we lose control of it, and we allow users to commit abuse against each others in locked spaces. If neither of these users ever report their messages, nobody can step in.

How will people figure out if X method is better than Y without argument ?

Hopefully, an answer post should contain everything necessary; if not, the comments should ask for clarifications, or give criticism of the content.

Private chats would just facilitate that

Private chats lead to a locking down of the conversation, and ensures nobody on the outside gets to participate.

let's say I'm talking about microchips and I want Olin's opinion, should I be forced to read some Rand who has never touched a computer opinion on it ?

Why would Olin want to engage in a private chat with you about this? He'd wanna do it openly, so everybody can benefit from what he has to say, not just you. We're building a repository of knowledge, not a personal help desk, aren't we? And when the category is Q/A, such an extended discussion is unwanted, and not appropriate. Again, I think an open chat like the one on SE is appropriate here, if some people want to continue a discussion in that chat. But not private. Locked and private is counter-productive; we seek open and shared.

deleted user I still fail to understand why you resist using the comment section, and why you insist that the discussion chat must be private.

should I be forced to read some Rand who has never touched a computer opinion on it ?

If a comment is not relevant, or has no reason to be posted, it should just be deleted. Flag it for a moderator to remove it.