votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Can the homepage become more like the dashboard?

Can the homepage become more like the dashboard?

+8
−0

I have been visiting the site for some time now and I am slowly developing a bit of a problem with the landing page for codidact.com:

• First of all, there is no indication on that page of whether I am logged in or not. As a result, I don't have access to notifications and I always have to navigate to some community to check if there is something to do.
  • Secondly, there are no indicators of which communities have new activity. Since I am involved in multiple communities, this means that I would have to go to each community to check if something happened, navigate back to the landing page and repeat.
  • Finally, the communities are listed in a seemingly arbitrary order. As a result, I typically have to scroll to find the community I'm after (this can get annoying, especially on mobile). It would be much nicer to have some form of user-based ranking of communities.

It has gotten so bad that I found myself navigating to meta.codidact.com/dashboard or software.codidact.com/dashboard or ... instead of the home page. After all, the dashboard provides solutions to my first two points. However, I do find it a bit clumsy that I have to navigate to a specific community to access the dashboard to get a better overview than the home page.

Therefore, I would suggest the following:

• make the dashboard independent from communities
  • make this dashboard the landing page for codidact.com (for logged-in users)

My last point could probably be seen as a separate feature request, but it would be nice if I could have the most recently visited communities show up first.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

A couple notes (2 comments)
A couple notes
Mithical‭ wrote 6 months ago

Just noting here that codidact.com itself runs off of different software than the rest of the network - the source code for that page can be found at https://github.com/codidact/community-list. That has some upsides and downsides. If the network goes down temporarily due to a memory issue or similar, the .com and .org pages usually are not affected. It does mean integrations are harder; there is no account system for that page, so your Communities account isn't relevant on that page at the moment, and nothing personalized exists. I do think we should be doing more with that page and integrating it into the network environment, though, yes.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 6 months ago

Redirecting to the dashboard view for logged-in users is a good idea. Logged-in users already know what Codidact is, so they don't need the explanations that are on the static landing page. For first-time visitors we do want to show more than just a list of sites and their categories. It would be great to bring these two views together better.