votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What's more important for codidact - quality or helping questions get answered?

Parent

What's more important for codidact - quality or helping questions get answered?

+6
−1

When I read through https://codidact.org/ I get the impression that the focus is on helping people get their questions answered. There are obviously other benefits, like providing a platform for people who want to share their knowledge, but the message that stands out to me most is:

This is a place where you can get your question answered.

If anyone disagrees with this, I can try to edit the question to provide examples/quotes, but I feel like it's kind of obvious so I'll keep it brief for now.

However, in my interactions with some regulars on here, sometimes I've gotten a different impression. Often, they assert that content quality is paramount, and seem very concerned about keeping the hapless newbies from posting stuff that isn't good enough for the site. The same people don't seem too concerned about trying to help the most people who come to the site - there seems to be an elitist sentiment of "if their content isn't good enough they can stay out". A lot of voting, moderation, discussion and feedback is currently dominated by this attitude, which I think is very confusing for new users. It's not clear what the site is about. Is it a populist site that tries to help everyone who asks, or is it an elitist site that maintains high standards?

I intend this post as feedback on either the text on https://codidact.org/ being misleading, or the culture being out of alignment with the site's vision. Notably, the word "quality" doesn't even appear on that page. Moreover, it mentions things like "community-focused" and "non-hostile" which seem to me at odds with elitism.

Of course the two things are highly related, but ultimately one must be the first principle. For example, if quality is most important, it is reasonable to close or delete poorly-written questions even if it means the asker might be denied help and other users are prevented from helping them. If answering questions is most important, there is an argument for helping the asker first, cleaning up the question later.

I don't think this is a philosophical question. I'll assert that the two biggest types of user on QA sites are:

• People who want to create quality content - they want to see the site grow and evolve into a compendium of high quality knowledge, where only the best-written questions get asked and answered
  • People who want to create a helpful community - they want to see the site become a resource where you can go and ask your own questions, even if they're not the best written

I think currently the "marketing" is aiming mostly towards the "helpful community" group, but the actual site culture seems to be more like the "quality content" group. This is counter-productive to growing the site. Suppose the "marketing" works and you attract the "helpful community" people, and they immediately discover a dominant "quality content" culture - they will probably feel frustrated and not want to participate as much. Meanwhile, if you want the "quality content" group, you will keep getting confused "helpful community" people who wander in and annoy the regulars with bad questions and create more work for moderators. The site presentation should not be encouraging them.

And yes, I do see that these are not mutually exclusive. Some people would be happy with either type of site. My question here is about those people who want only one or the other - I believe such people are quite numerous.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Confusion between 1st and 2nd (5 comments)
−5

The quality over everything and running the noobs off users have had their way for years at this point and nothing to show for it.

In the past year, Photography has had 2 questions, Outdoors 8. No one is going to look at that and ask questions, regardless of the "quality" because the lack of activity suggests that no one would answer their question. Stackoverflow as the biggest site had something worth gatekeeping, while I can and do get better answers on FB/Reddit than I would here.

Quality is also subjective,

• Should I use a tippet ring when using dry flys?
  • Do I need to use Color Preserver when rod building with silk?
  • How to keep eyelets from icing up?
  • What side of the spine do the guides go on?

There are all perfectly fine questions and would get answers on FB, they do require expert knowledge, but anyone in the fishing/rod building community would have that. Here people would complain if I didn't explain what a tippet ring is, which means that I would get higher quality answers with less effort over on FB.

Without questions, the sites will die for lack of activity, and some of the loudest voices for "quality" aren't asking any questions so why should we cater to them?

I can get faster/better answers from wider communities who have way less quality control (both FB and Reddit lack duplicate closing) for much less effort, why should I bother spending the effort here? If someone is rude to me, I can block them and never have to deal with them again.

One time on Reddit someone was asking for help with getting the first layer of his 3D-printed object to stick and not only did we solve his problem, but we told him to flip the object 180 degrees because the level of expertise was so high that we knew exactly what he was printing based off only the first layer.

Mass has an expertise all its own, the more eyeballs the more chances someone will have of knowing the exoteric knowledge required. Instead of hoping for mystical experts who can't be bothered to Google things this site needs more users or it's going to end up more dead than it already is.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

The lack of activity isn't related to quality/helping (8 comments)
Quality is subjective - agree (4 comments)
The lack of activity isn't related to quality/helping
Lundin‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I know there's been various opinions about why the said sites struggle with activity. I don't believe it has anything to do with "gatekeeping" or high quality standards, nor do I believe it has anything to do with the high amount of imported content from SE either.

The sites were simply started too early and without a sufficient amount of enthusiast users to keep them going. It's not sufficient to have one or two such users to maintain activity, a site needs much more.

Personally I occasionally try to participate on sites that I'm not really that interested in, just to help with activity, but that kind of artificial support "trickling in" from users that are primarily here for other Codidact communities won't work in the long run. There needs to be a core user base of many enthusiasts and ideally a bunch of domain experts among those as well.

Never too late to fix, but then the sites would need to be advertised somewhere where outdoors or photography enthusiasts hang out currently.

Charlie Brumbaugh‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I have contributed more content on those sites post pre and post migration than anyone else, and stopped my contributions once it became clear that the rudeness/gatekeeping would not be dealt with. How is that not related to the lack of activity?

matthewsnyder‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Maybe gatekeeping is not the only or even the biggest reason for the low activity, but it must be a contributor. It stands to reason that you have some baseline rate of activity on any site, and the more strict you are with what's allowed, the smaller a subset of that you will get. Perhaps a strict filter might encourage some experts to be more active, because they enjoy the company of other experts. But there are also experts that dislike elitism, who will be discouraged, and of course the non-experts are directly curbed. So it's hard to see how strict content policies won't ultimately reduce activity.

Sites with little or no bar on quality like reddit and early StackOverflow were able to grow very fast and expertise emerged from it as Charlie says. There was always things like voting that allowed users to sort through the "bad" content, but mods rarely outright deleted or censored any of it. In fact, these sites (including SO) tend to lose momentum when moderations tightens.

BTW Charlie, as a personal comment - when I first saw Codidact and was browsing around to see if the site is worth using, I liked your posts on the Great Outdoors and elsewhere. It was actually a big part of why I thought to give the site a try. Sounds like maybe we might be in the minority here on what site culture should be like, but maybe that gives a perspective on what the user acquisition story actually looks like.

Lundin‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Charlie Brumbaugh‭ You are pretty much saying that the sites had one single enthusiast user, which I believe is correct, to the point when one single user stops posting it becomes notable. This only proves my point that the sites were launched prematurely and without proper advertising in relevant channels.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago
I have contributed more content on those sites post pre and post migration than anyone else

Not true. I have contributed more on the Photography site than you or anyone else, as judged by all the other users. I just checked, and my rep is 961 versus your 557. Everyone else has even less.

And no, new askers weren't run off. The site died because it never really got going. Nobody out there knows about it. There was an initial trickle of activity from the few users that were into photography that were there at the start of Codidact, but they ran out of things to ask each other after a while. In hindsight, it should not have been launched when it was and in that form. Codidact was new, and we didn't know about launching sites back then. The way-too-many categories doesn't help either. They spread the sparse activity out, making it look even more sparse.

None of this has anything to do with what you are complaining about.

CD relies on word of mouth, so it's important to consider that before people advertise it, it must be a place they'd be comfortable showing to their friends. Ties into the being helpful vs. content quality. It's not correct to look at the site not growing, and conclude it was opened prematurely. It could also be that the seed community failed to form an attractive culture, and early adopters gave up on it.

As an example, I used to recommend StackOverflow to everyone back in the day. But over time, it became too self important that I stopped being comfortable telling people I know to go there, because despite doing nothing too wrong they'd get treated like crap.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 1 month ago
It could also be that the seed community failed to form an attractive culture, and early adopters gave up on it.

But that's not what happened. All the posts are still there. You can see for yourself.