votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Should details tags work in comments?

Parent

Should details tags work in comments?

+1
−2

In a post a <details> tag can be used to hide information until a user chooses to click on it, useful for spoilers or puzzle solutions.

For example, the following raw text:

<details>
<summary>
Click to see the answer
</summary>
The answer is "Ask why 5 times"
</details>

is rendered as:

Click to see the answer The answer is "Ask why 5 times"

Currently comments support some HTML, such as bold, italics and supercript. Would it be useful for comments to also support hidden information with the <details> tag?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

What would be the use case? (2 comments)
−1

I started to write a whole thing about how "this might make sense if each community could turn it on or off," and explaining the difference in my eyes.

However, my counter-example started out as a programming question-and-answer, and I realized that...

First, you often want to ask a technical question by loading information into it (logs, for example), but you don't want that mass of content to clutter the question to the point that nobody reads it.

Likewise, a programming answer especially might come in two forms, the "this is the thing that you need to fix to get your presented code running" answer and the "here's your code rewritten to not only fix your problem but head off some other potential issues.

Combine those cases with (in effect) spoiler warnings (presumably the originally envisioned use, when calling about puzzles) and content warnings when somebody needs to present information that some readers will want to skip, and details start to make a lot of sense across the board...assuming that implementing it - in a way that makes sense for users who aren't comfortable with "just mix Markdown and HTML - wouldn't take too much effort, of course.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

The question is only about comments (2 comments)
The question is only about comments
trichoplax‭ wrote 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Comments in a thread (like this one) do not currently support the <details> tag. This question is just about whether to support it in comments.

Note that posts (questions and answers) already support the <details> tag across all Codidact communities.

John C‭ wrote 4 months ago

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Comments maybe get a little dicier, since that goes fairly deep in the conversation where you wouldn't expect someone to casually land, but my intention (after the rewrite that I actually posted) was to make the case that they probably make sense pervasively, so I think that it still holds.