votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Seeking feedback on experience with open source chat software

Parent

Seeking feedback on experience with open source chat software

+4
−0

Currently Codidact uses Discord for chat, which is linked from the right hand panel:

Right hand panel showing a link to "join us in chat"

Codidact runs on open source software, whereas Discord is closed source. The Codidact Foundation is a non-profit organisation, whereas Discord is a for-profit company which advertises paid-for products to its users (including users of the Codidact Discord server).

There are several discussions on Meta related to this:

The following posts about linking to Discord also mention the future possibility of a built-in chat:

It seems that while there is some community desire for an alternative to Discord, there is unlikely to be available development time to build Codidact-specific chat software for some time. I'm interested to hear how the community would feel about using existing open source chat software as a replacement for Discord.

Do any of you have experience of using any open source chat software? What are their good and bad points? Which ones would you be happy to see as Codidact's chat long term?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

To throw in some alternatives which I found more pleasant to use than zulip: - matrix: has the ad... (4 comments)
Best avoid yet another intermediary platform (2 comments)
−0

If I wanted to migrate from Discord, I'd give Revolt a try. I don't know what the administrative load looks like, but it looks a lot like Discord, with servers and rooms, and down to the until-recent non-unique usernames with numbers appended. That might have a better chance of people moving over than the usual gripes about "learning a new system."

That said, I never used any of them regularly and haven't recently, but Mattermost and Rocket Chat have been around for longer, look like the also-familiar Slack, and have fans.

I also haven't found any communities on it to test it out, but Movim has built something Slack/Discord-like on top of XMPP, which should mean that the house of cards doesn't come tumbling down if they stop development for whatever reason. Also, since you can connect with any XMPP client, that might should make it the easiest to "integrate" with the site, by embedding a web-based client like Converse.js.

Likewise, IRC presumably going anywhere anytime soon, even though I haven't used it in a long time...

I'm a personal fan of the federated Matrix, but its structure is designed for a weird (at least to me) use case, where "spaces" look kind of like Discord servers, but are an arbitrary grouping of rooms and spaces that won't join you to anything in them. I feel like that'd be right out, for this sort of community.

I realize that's more hand-waving and broad feelings than the question technically asked, but might help narrow down the priorities. If comfort of the existing chat-users is the big issue, I'd definitely look at Revolt. If embedding and stability are, then the older protocols with more implementations are a safer bet.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Not Mattermost (2 comments)
Not Mattermost

Mattermost is most similar to Slack, and it’s not a good final platform for Codidact. It seems too centralized, and doesn’t seem like something that scales as well. In fact, the best chat software for a Q/A platform like Codidact, that I can see, is actually the Stack Exchange chat with a few upgrades. That we’d have to build ourselves. The fact that users can set up their own rooms and spaces over there, and actually have stuff in a corner, is a awesome. And useful. Very.

John C‭ wrote 3 months ago

For what it's worth, I agree. I didn't see as the Slack-a-likes as serious contenders, but mostly listed them out of completeness, because they've been around for a while and have some stability. Looking at its API, though, it looks like it might be possible to spin up the equivalent of a room from the Codidact page, which could work.

But yeah, my suggestions were really meant to be more on the "looks so much like Discord that people shouldn't gripe about coming over" and "flexible enough that you can do whatever you need," whereas Mattermost sits in kind of a middle ground unless somebody has the time to do a bunch of custom work.