votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Hobbling of users who consistently post low-quality content

Hobbling of users who consistently post low-quality content

+17
−3

There are, unfortunately, a few users on Codidact who relatively consistently make low-quality contributions. These posts often come in bursts and tend to be downvoted fairly quickly, but that doesn't slow them down.

I propose that Codidact should implement some manner in which to slow down such users. They shouldn't be prevented entirely from posting, but there should be limits in place to ensure that their posts don't drown out other content.

I am posting a self-answer with a suggestion for how this can be done, but alternative suggestions (or arguments why this is a bad idea) are certainly welcome!

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

4 comment threads

It's not possible to meaningfully hobble bad users. You can only hobble new users. (1 comment)
Like the idea. Added some extra steps to your basic proposal to allow for "strictness configuration";... (2 comments)
Perfect is the enemy of good (3 comments)
Downvote!!! it's not because my answers/questions are poorly written (2 comments)
Perfect is the enemy of good
r~~‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Sadly I don't have a specific proposal to offer but I do want to say that almost any method I could imagine of addressing this problem would be better than the status quo, IMO. Among the communities I'm watching, the Mathematics community in particular has been utterly overwhelmed by a flood of low-quality posts that still skate above the line currently used by moderators for closing. I would strongly endorse a plan of getting some flood control out quickly and refining it later over one of debating at length over the ideal design.

Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

This definitely sounds like something that needs to be brought up at the specific community meta. Preferably along the lines of "how can we improve post quality?" which is productive, and not along the lines of "user x is bad what can be done about them" which is counter-productive and quite rude.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I agree with Lundin‭ that publicly singling out specific users for inappropriate behavior is rude. Generally, doing so only puts those people on the defensive, often destroying any hope of getting them to improve their behavior while remaining contributors. That's why what I propose focuses on the problematic behavior itself, not who is doing it. There are, of course, some users that I have in mind — I certainly don't propose this functionality just for the fun of doing so — and I'm sure others who are even moderately active across Codidact will know of some particularly problematic users that they have encountered as well. However, at least I refuse to publicly name and shame them; I'm not doing this out of spite, and I'm not doing this to target specific users, but to target an inappropriate behavior; if a problematic user improves, I'll probably be among the first to applaud that, but in the meantime, I think we need some way to keep communities from being drowned in crap.