votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Are downvotes needed?

Parent

Are downvotes needed?

+5
−4

Being on the receiving end of a downvote is not a good experience 99.9% of the time. The countless flavors of downvote abuse are notorious. Even for a third party, there is little value in the satisfaction of seeing an answer they dislike thoroughly downvoted, because they'd really rather not see it all. With this being such a negative feature, it must surely have some great benefit to overcome that, right?

The classic justification is of course that we need downvotes to flag bad posts, so that users can skip, filter or sort them to the last page, and moderators can prioritize them. Except we already have a "flag" action which is much more direct and logical.

Another idea was that downvotes encourage users to improve. At this point, I think this has become a ridiculous canard. Drive by downvoting has a way of going rampant, and there's no real way to stop it. But let's be naive: If downvoters actually left a comment constructive criticism, what does that do that a comment with no downvote doesn't? In fact, if you've left a constructive comment, adding a downvote serves only to irritate the victim and make it less likely that they will listen to the criticism.

Further, downvoted posts are not left for posterity to serve as an example. They are usually deleted. So if the question is to be deleted anyway, why bother downvoting it? It seems to be a superfluous addition to a normal housekeeping task, that only generates animosity and detracts from the user experience.

What is the actual justification for having downvotes?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Ah yes, of course, the first response is an unexplained downvote. How ironic. (2 comments)
−0

There is a difference between a flag ("this requires action that only a moderator can take") and a downvote, which expresses an opinion about the post that the community can decide how to respond to.

There may be several reasons for and against having downvotes. This answer just expresses one reason for.

Downvotes drive discussion

Prompting comments

I often see posts with one or more downvotes and no comments to explain why. My response is generally to add a comment. That may be a comment to express that I see no reason for the downvotes, or it may be a comment to explain anything about the post that I think could be improved.

In both cases there is now information expressed on the post that I would have been unlikely to have expressed if there were no downvotes. The people who downvoted added no content, but they prompted discussion which does add content.

Hiding downvoters

The anonymity of downvotes makes it easy to add one without having to think or justify it. This means that a person who notices that a post is problematic can indicate this with no need to put aside time and effort for explaining. Without this anonymity, some downvotes would not be cast, resulting in less information being added to the site.

Making downvotes count

I would encourage everyone to add comments to downvoted posts to explain what can be improved, even when that seems obvious. What is obvious differs widely between different people.

This is not a request for downvoters to add comments. I highly value the ability of downvoters to do so anonymously without leaving a comment. This is a request for other members of the community to add comments wherever they see downvotes.

I see this as teamwork. One person highlights that a post needs improvement, and another person responds by explaining what can be improved. Splitting this job between more people means that posts that might otherwise get ignored instead get improved.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Not in my experience (5 comments)
Not in my experience
matthewsnyder‭ wrote 11 months ago

This is an attractive idea but in my experience on SO/SE:

1. 1-2 downvotes usually lead to the question being summarily closed with a highly generic, unhelpful reason.
  2. 3-4 downvotes usually lead to the question being deleted.
  3. There are rarely comments offering constructive criticism. At best there is snarky, sarcastic condescension at the asker's expense, and it's not even clear if the comments are coming from the downvoters or not (people love saying "I'm not the downvote but...*).

Yes, obviously if you get rid of downvotes, you would have to reduce the rep requirement for flagging. All those people that used to downvote, would not have to flag, where they will have to enter a reason. Perhaps we can even make flags public, so that users can see what exactly the issue is and try to fix it.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 11 months ago

matthewsnyder‭ what you say is true on SO (where these things can happen within minutes or even seconds), but there's a different culture here on Codidact. If you look around, you'll see a lot of downvoted questions that are still live. (In fact, we've sometimes gotten complaints that we don't delete stuff.) I don't have direct database access to run this query, but my impression is that a lot of downvoted posts do have comments discussing the issues people see.

SO is a lot bigger than we are and that changes group behaviors; I encourage you to evaluate Codidact on its own terms. (By the way, reputation here is just a number; it doesn't affect your abilities.)

matthewsnyder‭ wrote 11 months ago · edited 11 months ago

Monica Cellio‭ Well, I see your point that just because SO got that way when it became popular, doesn't mean Codidact will necessarily go that way when it gets popular.

However, why wouldn't it? It's a very similar site with a lot of the same users. All sorts of things used to be allowed on SO, and then they changed their minds. I'm trying to think, if everyone on SO migrated to Codidact tomorrow, how would that work out?

I do think of Codidact as a different site. Indeed, why would I waste my time on an SO clone with 1000x less activity? I agree with you about the culture being different now. But what's the basis of expecting this culture to remain stable when/if Codidact grows? In fact, the culture reminds me a lot of SO's culture in its early days...

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 11 months ago

Attempting to predict the future comes with some uncertainty, but I think there are some important structural differences here, including that Codidact is run by a non-profit organization that has serving the community as a core principle in its incorporation documents. There are no shareholders with business interests to push us around. For some other differentiators, see https://meta.codidact.com/posts/39450.

trichoplax‭ wrote 11 months ago · edited 11 months ago

I agree that there are fundamental differences that give Codidact a much better chance of turning out well long term, but I'm also really glad that potential future problems are being discussed now, while there is time to try out new ideas that might help.

I see one of Codidact's strongest advantages being its ability to be flexible and give each community more independence and autonomy. So although I personally see great value in downvotes, I'm also glad that any Codidact community is free to decide for themselves to try switching them off, and the code being open source means that change doesn't need to take years.