votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What should I know when coming here from Stack Exchange?

Parent

What should I know when coming here from Stack Exchange?

+73
−0

This website seems much like the Stack Exchange family of sites, but I immediately noticed some differences, like being able to comment at once and not being able to vote on this meta (but the ability to vote was elsewhere, though heavily limited).

As a new member, what should I know at minimum to participate effectively here; and is there a good place for finding more extensive information?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Copying content from SE (2 comments)
General comments (4 comments)
−0

Notable differences from a user-visible perspective:

• Upvotes and downvotes are tracked and displayed separately. This makes a clear distinction between a controversial answer (+20/-20) and an answer that nobody has voted on (+0/-0). On StackExchange these would be indistinguishable without the privilege of being able to view up and down votes.
  • Comments are threaded, and threads are collapsed by default. This helps to reduce the level of comment noise that is typically seen on high-visibility StackExchange questions, and encourages the use of comments for their intended purpose: to suggest improvements to answers or request clarification of a question (rather than to soapbox, or offer low-quality semi-answers, as is often the case on StackExchange).
  • Both up and downvoting is available to all users without being gated by reputation. I'm not in a position to state whether this is better or worse than requiring a minimum rep to downvote, but it is the currently-implemented policy.
  • "Accepted answers" do not exist. Instead, you can apply a badge to a particular answer, which states "Worked for <person>", but this does not bless the answer with a prominent green tick or pin it to the top of the list of answers. This allows a questioner or any other user to thank a particular answerer for solving their problem, without subverting the ranking system or promoting a possibly low-quality answer that happens to tell the questioner what they wanted to hear.
  • The Code of Conduct is reasonable, straightforward, and based on common sense rules that encourage a civil and constructive learning environment, rather than a tool for pushing a Silicon Valley ideological agenda. Long may it remain that way.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Voting (1 comment)
Voting
Monica Cellio‭ wrote 10 months ago

One of our core goals is that, however you acquire the ability to vote, you get upvotes and downvotes at the same time.