votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Is it okay to ask a question because you're too lazy/bored to figure it out yourself?

Parent

Is it okay to ask a question because you're too lazy/bored to figure it out yourself?

+6
−0

It is generally considered good practice to try and do your own research to find the answer to a question before you post it.

There are some questions where the asker is just not capable of finding the answer on their own, no matter how much research they do on their own. As a contrived example, let's say that color of traffic lights in Elbonia is not documented anywhere, and Elbonia has currently closed all borders. A person wondering what color the traffic lights are in Elbonia cannot find it no matter what they do. Their only hope is to ask here, and perhaps a kind Elbonian will volunteer the facts.

A second class is questions where the asker could in theory figure it out, but it would be very burdensome. For example, perhaps the answer requires advanced degrees and a decades of reading literature, whereas the asker is an illiterate child. If the asker tried to answer it their own, they would have to dedicate a lifetime to it, and might easily still fail.

Then we have the spectrum going all the way down to questions where the answer could be easily found with "a basic 5 second google", or even questions where the answer is obvious by simply reading the question back.

I'm asking about questions where:

• The answer is readily available and can be found with "a 5 second google"
  • The asker knows that it is readily available
  • A quick skim of these answer(s) elsewhere would immediately tell you exactly what the answer is, if you are proficient in the subject matter
  • The asker is not proficient, and finds the material hard to understand or difficult to read. Perhaps they have spent some reasonable, short amount of time trying to read it (like 30 minutes), failed to comprehend it, and decided that figuring it out would likely take considerable effort (hours or days). Besides mere effort, the asker may also find the material too boring to attempt to get through (don't laugh - people ask sometimes about laws and standards!).

The asker is basically asking the community to summarize/ELI5 a topic, because they themselves feel like it would be too much work to go through it.

1. Is it generally discouraged to ask questions on Codidact if an answer can be found elsewhere on the internet or in a book?
  2. Is there some minimum level of effort the asker must make, and if so, what is it?
  3. Is it bad to "use the community as a resource" in this way?

I specifically draw the line at minutes vs. hours because I think this is the useful place to draw it in practice. Asking a question already takes a few minutes, so it is a natural baseline for measuring effort.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

I want to question the premise of this question.

In the title, you wrote:

Is it okay to ask a question because you're too lazy/bored to figure it out yourself?

but in the question body, you wrote among else:

• A quick skim of these answer(s) elsewhere would immediately tell you exactly what the answer is, if you are proficient in the subject matter
  • The asker is not proficient, and finds the material hard to understand or difficult to read. Perhaps they have spent some reasonable, short amount of time trying to read it (like 30 minutes), failed to comprehend it, and decided that figuring it out would likely take considerable effort (hours or days). Besides mere effort, the asker may also find the material too boring to attempt to get through (don't laugh - people ask sometimes about laws and standards!).

I would say that not being able to understand something pertinent which you've found trying to find an answer, and asking for help in clarifying that, is entirely acceptable.

That's not being lazy.

However, the question you ask should show that you have put in some effort yourself before asking of others, and in order to avoid the XY problem should preferably also state something close to the ultimate goal.

Not only does this help avoid duplicate effort, it also shows that you respect other peoples' time by at least trying for yourself first.

In your example of Elbonian traffic lights, an asker might plausibly write something along the lines of:

For a fiction story I'm writing which is in part set in present-day Elbonia, I really need to get the traffic light colors right. I checked the Elbonian Road Transportation Authority's web site (link), but found nothing browsing it or doing Google searches for "traffic light" restricted to it. This was especially difficult because the site seems to be available only in the Elbonian language which I can't read, so I had to rely on online translation services. I then checked Wikipedia, but the "list of traffic light colors internationally" article (link) lists several neighboring countries but not Elbonia, and the neighboring countries all seem to use different colors so not even that helped. I then tried a broader search but everything I found was about how to cope if you are a color-blind tourist visiting Elbonia; examples: link link link link. I desperation I asked the Tach Drab Elgoog AI search engine, but it gave back different answers every time. The borders are closed so I can't even travel there myself. What color lights are used for Elbonian traffic lights, and what is the meaning of each color used? Photos appreciated.

This would clearly show that the asker has tried and failed to find the answer before asking for free help of others. Also, the question is bounded and specific; the set of possible answers is limited, and each answer can be judged by a subject matter expert on its correctness and on how well it addresses the question.

If on the other hand the material is available but difficult to understand -- say, because it's highly specialized and about all there is about the subject is in scientific journals intended for other scientists in the field, and the person asking is a high school student -- then again this can be pointed out. Another example:

I'm trying to learn about frobnication of thromblemeisters for a 11th grade science fair school project, and everything I find says that "quantum frobnication" is really really important but nothing about why that is the case. I've found lots of scientific articles which seem to discuss the submolecular properties of the quantum frobnication process, but beyond recognizing that this is what they are about those go totally over my head; examples are link, link and link. The physics teachers at my school were unable to help. Just why is the quantum frobnication so important, and what would happen if one did a classical/non-quantum frobnication instead?

Again, this shows that the person asking the question has tried (and what they have tried) but failed in their efforts to find an answer on their own. And also again, the question is bounded and specific. The reference to "11th grade science fair school project" establishes the likely proficiency level of the asker, helping guide the style of potential answers.

Both of those make perfectly valid, very much not lazy or bored, questions to be posed on an appropriate community.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Too chatty? (3 comments)
Too chatty?
matthewsnyder‭ wrote 7 months ago

Both of the examples strike me as excessively chatty. I think that if you cut out all the ritual, and left it at simply "What color are Elbonian traffic lights?" or "What is quantum frobnication?" it would be much more readable (I honestly was only able to get through these for the sake of understanding your point). The problems with such ritual are:

• Inexperienced answerers will be encouraged to address tangents ("teacher should be fired if he can't explain that!") rather than answering the question
  • It wastes the readers time
  • All the backstory might as well be made up, there's no realistic way to demand proof
  • It's largely irrelevant to people reading the question after the fact

I don't know about others, but whenever I see a title that I know the answer to, click it to answer, and see a novel, I immediately close the tab.

Karl Knechtel‭ wrote 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I'm inclined to agree that the research-documenting approach leads to too much chatter. While it makes sense initially to ascertain what the question really is, in the long run the shorter version is clearly better. Questions should ideally only contain what readers need in order to be confident that they've found the right question and that the answers will apply to their circumstance. In general, showing research doesn't entail telling us about that research - instead, it should be reflected in the fact that e.g. a "how do I do X?" question clearly defines X and doesn't appear to have an XY problem attached; that e.g. "why does something bad happen when I do Z?" properly lays out a reproducible Z procedure that reliably fails in a clear and specific way; etc. A huge part of the point of research is figuring out those precise details and framing.

Canina‭ wrote 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

matthewsnyder‭ Karl Knechtel‭ Both of my examples were, of course, just that: examples. They were hardly finished, properly formatted, easily readable questions, nor were they intended to be. The point was to illustrate that a question absolutely can list things that someone has already tried. In some cases doing so can help illuminate dead ends (or even, for example, points of improvement in documentation and guides); in other cases it can pre-empt comments or answers suggesting things that the person asking the question has already tried and found didn't work; in yet other cases it can highlight that some possible solutions for some reason are unworkable or unacceptable for the person asking the question. All of those seem like valid information for someone trying to provide an answer which will actually be useful.

If you want a quick summary without any details, that's what the title field is for. :-)

As for "might be made up", so might everything else. At some point we have to trust people.