votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Voluntariness vs. Responsibility, which of them should be considered as a priority for the community team?

Parent

Voluntariness vs. Responsibility, which of them should be considered as a priority for the community team?

+1
−23

Before starting the concern, I want to appreciate and acknowledge the community team for their volunteer efforts to run Codidact and handle its issues as far as they can.

When I sometimes talk to some people about the state of some unhandled issues, I am answered explicitly or implicitly that "the community team are unpaid volunteers", "they have not free time to handle any issue", "Codidact is an open source platform so that anyone can fix a problem", and so on.

I agree that no one should expect a volunteer to do some work, but for an aspiring community there should be a difference between "voluntariness" and "responsibility". In such a community the community team, though they may be unpaid volunteers, try to run the community like that they are paid staff.

The Codidact community team have accepted to be the staff and run the community. So, in my opinion, if Codidact is an aspiring platform, one may expect that they work as paid staff do.

Am I right?

Notice

The initial version of this answer is the accepted and the best answer. You can find the initial version here (Please note the current version of this answer is not original and not valid).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
−17

Since the other answers did not satisfactorily address my concerns, I'll post my answer to the question.

If we want to have a successful community, then its community managers (team) should work as paid staff do. There is a (somewhat harsh to some people) fact stating: If you want to have a successful project, you need to consider it as your first priority.

For example, if a mathematician want to solve an open problem, they should not view it as a secondary goal and spend their free time and energy on the problem. In real life, no successful project you can find that has been achieved by viewing it as a secondary priority, hobby, or ... .

However, there are some points in the other answers which need to be responded to:

• I never expected from the Codidact volunteers to work as paid staff. I said

In my opinion, if Codidact is an aspiring platform, one may expect that they work as paid staff do. I did not mean that the Codidact volunteers should prioritize their volunteering over their work. I only meant that if we want the community to be successful, its community team should consider it as their first priority; I agree with this opinion as I explained above. But, if Codidact is just a hobby, then the community team can continue their way because it is right for such a goal.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments

Skipping 8 deleted comments.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

"If you want to have a successful project, you need to consider it as your first priority." This is why I downvoted this answer. This statement seems to say "no person in the world can ever work on two different projects and be successful in both of them." That is patently false. Whether or not the labor expended by any person or group is enough to make a venture successful varies. But there are countless counter-examples of "2nd priority a success" in the world.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

We don't yet have the ability to lock posts, so if you edit that back in again we will have to delete the post again. Please find more appropriate ways to express yourself, and please stop pretending to be someone other than the author of the question.