votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

Parent

Allow posting without logging in at least in some communities

+2
−11

I ran the search queries "anonymous", "register" and "unregistered" in the search box but didn't find a thread about why isn't anonymous/unregistered contribution allowed here.

I recall one or two cases were I sat in the bus and wanted to ask something without logging in but didn't do so because I avoid logging in to any application from my smartphone's browsers (from several reasons) and avoid installing any unnecessary apps (Codidact's app is unnecessary for me) so I published these questions in Stack Exchange instead, were some communities there do allow posting without logging in.

I suggest to allow it as a measure to bring more initial content creators (i.e. askers) to the site.

I personally don't use caching in my smartphone's browser at all and generally won't use it, which would obligate me to mentally recall a "long" password for my Codidact account, something I don't want to do

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

XY problem? Maybe you want an easier login/registration method? (9 comments)
Don't want spur-of-the-moment questions banged out on a cell phone. (6 comments)
−3

Bad idea for lots of reasons:

1. Anonymity breeds vandalism.
  2. Enforcement becomes impossible. How would you ban or suspend an offender?
  3. Allowing unregistered users to post is an obvious gaping hole for suspended users.
  4. Someone who knows there won't be any consequences is more likely to do bad things.
  5. Writing a good question requires some thought and care. Compared to that, logging in is trivial. We don't want the kind of questions that are written the second a thought pops into someone's head, while banging on a cell phone with lots of distractions going on around them.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General feedback (7 comments)
General feedback
deleted user wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

I downvoted because I think you were too cynical in this reply (by cynical, I don't mean "sarcastic").

Vandalism, enforcement, suspended, offender ...

Vandalism should be dealt with; how exactly is for another thread but there are ways and Stack Exchange implements them quite good.

The assumption that suspended users can't grow up is something I personally reject.

Canina‭ wrote about 2 years ago

The assumption that suspended users can't grow up is something I personally reject.

deleted user Suspensions on Codidact are time limited.

hkotsubo‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

deleted user "The assumption that suspended users can't grow up" - Well, many of them unfortunately can't. I'm not sure about Codidact, but in SE I've seen lots of suspended users creating another account to circumvent theirs suspensions. Imagine if an account wasn't required, it would be even easier to bypass a suspension, and there would be much more cases...

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

hkotsubo‭ I don't believe that they (all) can't, from my experience, it might take one person 2 years, for the second 12 years and for the third 20 years whilst mechanisms to deal with vandalism just get better in the background.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

deleted user Anyone that takes 2 years (or even a month) to become a positive user isn't worth having around. Most people are quite capable of posting decent questions. Those that aren't are better discarded immediately than wasting volunteer resources on.

hkotsubo‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

deleted user I said that "I've seen many", I didn't mean "all". Actually, I can't even know about all, as I don't keep track of everyone who's suspended. But seeing those many cases is enough to make me be against your feature request, for the reasons already stated above.

And I don't think it's worth having a bad user around, causing trouble (the kind that makes them to be suspended) for years, hoping that someday they'll become a valuable contributor. I believe in second chances, but years? That's too much...

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

Well Olin Lathrop‭ I just don't find a reason to agree.