votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Don't limit characters in a threaded comment to 1,000

Parent

Don't limit characters in a threaded comment to 1,000

+1
−8

Often times a user wants to quote something or several things that appear in an answer (each quote could be about 500 characters long).

It can be somewhat frustrating to make several threaded comments to quote several things (at least under the current mechanics).

The fear of users injecting links deep into a "large" threaded comment could be treated by making such links of the nofollow type and/or by automatic flagging for checking such comments.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

There is already enough abuse of comments (2 comments)
−0

Two staff had talked about it earlier.

I didn't mean to suggest increasing the limit. If you type 500 characters as text, it's a certain size that people have grown used to. With code blocks, a comment could plausibly be 2-3 times as tall. is that a problem or is that ok? The typical case of a few lines of code seems reasonable to me, but what if it's 20 very short lines? 50 lines of APL one or two characters per line? Should we have any limits and, if so, what? I'm not saying we should; I'm asking what folks want. ~ Thread comment

If we don't restrict the body than it will encourage people to write comments rather than answering (It was said by another staff but I believe his texts wasn't like this even I forgot where he had messaged so I can't find it now)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Thanks, I am skeptical towards the claim that it will encourage people to write comments rather than ... (4 comments)
Thanks, I am skeptical towards the claim that it will encourage people to write comments rather than ...
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

Thanks, I am skeptical towards the claim that it will encourage people to write comments rather than answers, pretty much because comments don't give any kind of reputation (and I don't necessarily mean upvotes).

Some scares to get downvote that's why they don't answer on question. But if they don't answer than community can't know his idea is helpful or not

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 2 years ago

If people aren't answering because they are "scared of downvote" then, to be blunt, they need to grow up. If you think you have a good answer, post it! If it gets downvoted you can leave it as is (if you are convinced you are right and the downvoters are wrong), change it (to satisfy any concerns) or delete it. If you don't know enough to answer because the question is vague, confusing, etc. that's what comments are for.

manassehkatz‭ I don't recall ever not answering (or questioning) because I was afraid of down votes, but I disagree with the approach you described here; you can think that people need to "grow up" as much as you want but if istiak is right and that's a common factor than the community should adjust itself to that "human nature" if it really expects content from the people it relates to; if not, it's fine but there would be much less content.